23 December 2013

Swami Vivekananda's Quotes On "I And My Father Are One" (John 10:30)

Christ said, "I and my father are one",
and you repeat it.
Yet it has not helped mankind.
For nineteen hundred years
 men have not understood that saying.
They make Christ the saviour of men.
He is God and we are worms!
—Swami Vivekananda
Image source: Wikimedia Commons  
We already have articles on Swami Vivekananda's quotes on Jesus Christ, Swami Vivekananda's quotes on Christianity. Now this article Swami Vivekananda's quotes and comments on "I and my Father are one" (John 10:30) is being written on 23 December 2013 as a Christmas special article.

Note: this article is not only on John 10:30, but Swami Vivekananda's quotes and commentaries on the verse. If you want to study only on John 10:30, please see the verse at BibleHub or search in Google or any other web search engine you prefer.

Swami Vivekananda's quotes and comments on "I and my Father are one" (John 10:30)

  1. "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." Can we see God? Of course not. Can we know God? Of course not. If God can be known, He will be God no longer. Knowledge is limitation. But I and my Father are one: I find the reality in my soul. These ideas are expressed in some religions, and in others only hinted. In some they were expatriated. Christ's teachings are now very little understood in this country. If you will excuse me, I will say that they have never been very well understood.[Source]
  2. Christ said, "I and my father are one", and you repeat it. Yet it has not helped mankind. For nineteen hundred years men have not understood that saying. They make Christ the saviour of men. He is God and we are worms![Source]
  3. I am never Râma [never one with Ishvara, the personal aspect of God], but I am [one with Brahman, the impersonal, all-pervading existence]. Here is a huge mass of clay. Out of that clay I made a little [mouse] and you made a little [elephant]. Both are clay. Melt both down They are essentially one. "I and my Father are one." [But the clay mouse can never be one with the clay elephant.][Source]
  4. In the New Testament it is taught, "Our Father who art in heaven" — God living in the heavens separated from men. We are living on earth and He is living in heaven. Further on we find the teaching that He is a God immanent in nature; He is not only God in heaven, but on earth too. He is the God in us. In the Hindu philosophy we find a stage of the same proximity of God to us. But we do not stop there. There is the non-dualistic stage, in which man realises that the God he has been worshipping is not only the Father in heaven, and on earth, but that "I and my Father are one." He realises in his soul that he is God Himself, only a lower expression of Him. All that is real in me is He; all that is real in Him is I. The gulf between God and man is thus bridged. Thus we find how, by knowing God, we find the kingdom of heaven within us.[Source]
  5. In your own Bible, what do you think was the cause of that strength of Jesus of Nazareth, that immense, infinite strength which laughed at traitors, and blessed those that were willing to murder him? It was that, "I and my Father are one"; it was that prayer, "Father, just as I am one with you, so make them all one with me."[Source]
  6. It is the Man who said, "I and my Father are One", whose power has descended unto millions. For thousands of years it has worked for good. And we know that the same Man, because he was a nondualist, was merciful to others. To the masses who could not conceive of anything higher than a Personal God, he said, "Pray to your Father in heaven." To others who could grasp a higher idea, he said, "I am the vine, ye are the branches," but to his disciples to whom he revealed himself more fully, he proclaimed the highest truth, "I and my Father are One."[Source]
  7. Know you are the Infinite, then fear must die. Say ever, "I and my Father are one."[Source]
  8. Love, lover, and beloved become one. That is the goal. ... Why is there any separation between soul and man, between soul and God? . . . Just to have this enjoyment of love. He wanted to love Himself, so He split Himself into many . . . "This is the whole reason for creation", says the lover. "We are all one. 'I and my Father are one.'[Source]
  9. None will be left. your heart, which contains all truth, will unfold itself chapter after chapter, till you know the last truth, that "I and my Father are one".[Source]
  10. Perfect unity is reached when man says, "I and my Father are one".[Source]
  11. Perfectly cleanse the mind of spots and instantly we see, "I and my father are one".[Source]
  12. Samadhi is perfect absorption of thought into the Supreme Spirit, when one realises, "I and my Father are one."[Source]
  13. The real study is that "by which we realise the Unchangeable", and that is neither by reading, nor believing, nor reasoning, but by superconscious perception and Samadhi. When a man has reached that perfect state, he is of the same nature as the Personal God: "I and my Father are one." He knows himself one with Brahman, the Absolute, and projects himself as does the Personal God. The Personal God is the Absolute looked at through the haze of Maya -- ignorance.[Source]
  14. This is the highest: "I and my Father are one." Realise it.[Source]
  15. We find something akin to this in the teachings of Jesus, which he evidently adapted to the different abilities of his hearers. First he taught them of a Father in heaven and to pray to Him. Next he rose a step higher and told them, "I am the vine, you are the branches", and lastly he gave them the highest truth: "I and my Father are one", and "The Kingdom of Heaven is within you."[Source]
  16. When a man has reached that perfect state, he is of the same nature as the Personal God. "I and my Father are one." He knows that he is one with Brahman, the Absolute, and projects himself as the Personal God does. He plays — as even the mightiest of kings may sometimes play with dolls.[Source]
  17. When a man is perfectly pure and good and beyond all grossness, he finds, as Jesus found: "I and my Father are one."[Source]
  18. When it was discovered that "I and my Father are one", the last word was said of religion. Then there only remained detail work.[Source]
  19. You are all Sons of God, immortal spirit. "Know", he declared, "the Kingdom of Heaven is within you." "I and my Father are one." Dare you stand up and say, not only that "I am the Son of God", but I shall also find in my heart of hearts that "I and my Father are one"? That was what Jesus of Nazareth said. He never talks of this world and of this life. He has nothing to do with it, except that he wants to get hold of the world as it is, give it a push and drive it forward and onward until the whole world has reached to the effulgent Light of God, until everyone has realised his spiritual nature, until death is vanished and misery banished.[Source]
  20. You find there the idea of oneness; but Christ also preached dualistic ideas to the people in order to give them something tangible to take hold of, to lead them up to the highest ideal. The same Prophet who preached, "Our Father which art in heaven", also preached, "I and my Father are one", and the same Prophet knew that through the "Father in heaven" lies the way to the "I and my Father are one".[Source]

This page was last updated on: 23 December 2013, 10:41 IST (UTC+5:30 hours)
Number of revisions in this page: 1

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Comment policy